Re: British Attempt on Motorcycle Record

To: tneimeyer@houston.rr.com (Tom Neimeyer), land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: British Attempt on Motorcycle Record
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
Tom, I checked the MCN item out and that's very interesting.  But I
daresay it would be a miracle if they actually went 350 mph, considering
that all they have is an unproven engine and somebody building a frame
right now.  And they are seeking donations to build all the rest of the
bike.

A few weeks ago I had the privilege and pleasure of a chat with Sam
Wheeler of E-Z Hook Bonneville mc streamliner fame, who has 42 years
experience in this very exotic speed trials game, and the existing S-F
record from '99 at 294.855 with his Kawasaki-powered bike.  After
talking with Sam for a while, your mind boggles, and begins to open to
the magnitude of what is really involved here.  Because Sam wants to get
to be an old man, he has a scientific approach to this sport(BTW, Sam is
an engineer by profession), and he has had models of his liner tested in
the Cal Tech wind tunnel, just as aircraft are.  By this means the
high-speed stability of the machine can be proven in a laboratory
setting, and even the downforce or otherwise on each wheel tested and
measured.  I hardly need describe what happens if you have 'upforce' at
300 mph on the wheels of a mc streamliner.

In a nutshell, Sam does not leave the stability of the machine to blind
chance, he knows what it will do when he runs it down the flats, with
the same assurance that a military fighter pilot enjoys; and this brings
about both success and safety.  These aero effects are of overwhelming
importance with a mc streamliner.  Regards,  Bill Hoddinott