FIA

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:21:58 -0700
Their role is to
ensure that the reports from those the FIA have accepted as officials at an
FIA authorised speed record attempt are acceptable (quiet the person who
said 'rubber stampers'......)
************************

While I was going to sit back and let this subject run to the end, I must
comment on Malcom's delusion that the FIA tech people who certify at the World
Finals are fully competent to do their assigned duties.

I have been involved with three FIA sanctions at World Finals events and in
each case we have had a different person on site from the SCCA, a memebr of
the exalted ACCUS,  to perform the steward duties required to certify a
"World" record. Of the three only one was aware that records had been run in
Utah on the salt flats. He thought we had stopped doing this several years in
the past and was amazed that we were still doing it.

None of the three knew the process to certify a record or had brought a
current copy of the existing records. They had brought no tools with which to
measure an engine or regulations to certify the body of the vehicle. In each
case they accepted our tools and measuments. Their process to certifiy the
record was to simply take a copy of our certificate and copy, or 'rubber
stamp'(see above) the details into their report.

For all this hard work the racers who competed for the FIA record had to pay
expenses for the steward plus fees. It takes a person like Louise to shake the
tree so that the people involved receive their just rewards. By reading the
mails in this thread and the ones in the past we can see how the FIA regards
the racer who complies to their strigent rules. If not for the work of Louise
the past few record setters would not be added to the FIA's record list. How
many in the past have never been recognized?

So, on it goes - the FIA - who needs 'em?

Dan Warner