fluid temps

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: fluid temps
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:31:51 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas, I tried the adhesive blanket with no success.
It just takes too long to heat five gallons or more of
oil.

I do use race engine coolant as the heat source for
engine oil. My normal engine warm-up procedure is done
while in line waiting my turn to race. It doesn't take
long to bring engine coolant temp up to about 190
degrees F. Oil temp comes up right along with engine
coolant temp. In the past, getting both oil and race
engine coolant temps up to race-ready status has been
problematic to say the least. I like this new system
for warming vital fluids.

I might also mention that I take pressurized coolant
from the engine and not the coolant reservoir. It
takes just a minute to warm race engine water and
about the same time to bring oil temp up to race
status. As the thermostat opens and closes, engine
coolant regulates oil temp by adding or subtracting
heat through the aluminum coil in the drysump tank.

Almost every other inexpensive method I tried either
was not effective or cooked oil around the heat
source.

John Goodman