heat ... expansion

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: heat ... expansion
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 06:31:41 -0600
With all the talk about heating fluids, there has been no discussion of what
I see as the REAL problem ... thermal expansion of metal parts.  The oil and
coolant are a part of equalizing the expansion of pistons and cylinders
under racing temperatures.  Unless you don't expect metal parts to expand
under high, prolonged temperatures you could theoretically run with a cold
engine and fluids without damaging the engine.  A full on thrash for five
miles creates some very interesting metallurgical situations.  Dahlgren is
working with situations where oil coolers are a requisite.  So are adequate
radiators a critical component of durability.  Doug has talked about
transmission heat and we all are aware of coolers being required for heavy
towing or high speed driving for transmission fluid.

What kind of clearances are necessary for a racing engine?  How are they
effected by racing conditions?  I was told (by an oil company rep.) there
has never been an "oil" failure on the salt but there have been many
"clearance" failures.  Russ Meeks could answer problems on controlling heat
with coatings.  What about under hood heat build up on full bodied cars?

Comments?

Wes