RE: April Maxton photo site

To: "John Szalay" <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: April Maxton photo site
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:33:00 -0400
I seem to remember hearing that those old planes are used for training --
rescue, maybe fire, even anti-terrorist stuff.  Mebbe one of the ECTA folks
that knows everything will offer confirmation or denial (not the muddy river
in Egypt).

John -- I think that old Brit aeroplane is/was a BAC 1011, eh?

And yet another thought - with the first hundred yards or so of the lsr
pavement angled off about 10 degrees --- I've assumed that the "glider"
would be placed where the lsr start line is, and the airplane set to drag
said glider would be on the straight part of the runway.  This would reduce
initial towing load on the tow vehicle when it starts to move (remember your
geometry here).  By the time the airplane is moving right along and
accelerating decently the tow line to the glider would be straight and the
full load would be on the plane.  How'd I do?

Jon, in cloudy and cool Marquette where we're looking forward to leaves on
the trees and green stuff growwing on the ground -- it's spring wildfire
season up here (40 of 'em in the county last weekend).