RE: April Maxton photo site

To: jonw@up.net (Jon Wennerberg), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: April Maxton photo site
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:27:25 -0400 (EDT)
Jon, I was told several years ago that there is a commercial enterprise
working at Maxton airport that makes a business of buying old airliners,
flying them in there, and dismantling them for scrap.  This operation
would be by arrangement with the Airport Commission, of course.

And yes, as someone said, the upper two legs of this triangular airport
are still in regular service, the bottom leg of it is used for the ECTA
Course.  Other parts of the airport are used for various other purposes.
I gather that the Airport Commission has been easy, helpful and
reasonable to work with for the ECTA.  And this is encouraging, since
the A.C. is of course a local NC political function entrusted with the
stewardship of the property for the public interest.  And we all know it
is much in the public interest for the ECTA racers to have fun at the
airport!  Bill