Re: welders

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: welders
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 05:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
Chris:

Regardless the application, a fusion or capillary
joint is only as good as the properties it possesses.
The best TIG joint develops about 80,000 psi of
tensile capability. If your stick weld has more
tensile strength then the joint will be stronger. The
one property of fusion welding I don't like is the
occasional undercut that even a competent welder will
experience from time to time. I have suffered from a
high-speed failure of this type. Try loosing your
front axle at 215mph due to a TIG welded joint failure
caused by undercut. This chassis was built by and
aircraft certified welder so you would think undercut
would not be a problem.

I have raced many different formula cars over the
years and most of them (at least the tube frame
variety) were built using bronze welding. I have never
had a joint failure in all the years of racing bronze
welded cars. I have nothing against stick, MIG or TIG.
All three systems have there strengths and weaknesses.
But your question was which is easiest to use by a
novice, especially upside down. Because you do not
heat joining metals to melt point, bronze welding
relys on capillary action to fill and join. Adding a
proper width fillet in the joint gives added strength
and is how you can develop up to 140,000 psi joints. I
don't know if anybody has tried bronze welding on a
Pro Stock four-link but joint strength is joint
strength, no matter how you manufacture it.

John