Magnetohydrodynamics

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Magnetohydrodynamics
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 05:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
Joe Lance:

I had a chance to look briefly at MHD. WOW! I see why
you are interested in developing this technology for
dampers. If I understand MHD correctly, it may be
possible to accurately and repeatedly move fluid in
the required amount and speed in reaction to changes
occurring in the suspension and tire. One of todays
common problems with spring ocellation dampening is
reaction time of mechanical pistons, rods and valves
to attempt instantaneous control. Forget grip losses
due to friction produced by these components. Of
course, this is not possible through current damper
technology, no matter how advanced it seems. I think
electromagnetic control of fluid would be many more
times reactive to dampening needs than mechanical. If
electronic feedback from suspension could be processed
and fed to MHD controlled dampers, well, the gains in
spring ocellation control could be enormous. This
would be a benefit to LSR racer too. We, like road
racers, suffer high and low speed spring ocellation
problems. The greater the control, the better the car
will handle and the more traction we will experience.

John Goodman