Re: rings rotating?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rings rotating?
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:26:14 -0400 (EDT)
With all the 'fury' in there, and nothing to positively locate them, my
guess is they squirm and wiggle around a little, and it might vary from
engine to engine, but would be inconsequential.  This reminds me that
the old Hudson Flathead 6s had pistons with pins through the ring
grooves to hold the rings in one position.  I speculate that the factory
found early on that there was some pattern of distortion in their
cylinder bores and it was better to keep the rings in one place after
break-in. On the other hand, this meant all the ring gaps were in one
place and one would think there would be a constant leak of high
pressure and temp gases down this area.  But the gap was very small,
and, it worked for them for many years.  Bill