Re: rings rotating?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rings rotating?
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:04:48 -0700 (PDT)
John, interesting that you mention rotating rings.
Just yesterday, I had another discussion with an
engine designer on the subject. My stock question is
to provide solid, tangible, experimental data that
supports the need for ring rotation in a cylinder that
has <.0002" of bore distortion (in true cylindricity).
The stock answer is that rotation is required to keep
rings from lining up end gaps. My stock answer is,
HUH? Seems to me you have greater potential for end
gap alignment with ring rotation. Even greater
potential exists if bore distortion >.0002" exists,
encouraging rings to stop in a fixed bore location. To
confuse things even further, the conversation usually
gravitates to cross hatch angle as a critical feature
in the ring rotation equation. The same question is
asked; where is the proof for all this? Not WAG, not
someones best guess or theory but bonified, provable,
repeatable data.

John Goodman