RE: rings rotating?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rings rotating?
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
Dale, I am far from an expert on anything. Just a guy
with a few questions. I am however, guilty of being
too opinionated. Comes from hanging around Dave
Dahlgren for too many years.

It has been my experience that Total Seal rings work
about as well as others, depending on application.
Years ago, the rumor circulated that TS rings caused
accelerated cylinder wear. If cylinder bores were not
honed correctly and/or TS rings had higher tension
than normal, I suppose they could have been a little
harder on cylinder walls. To the best of my knowledge,
none of this was actually proved to be the case. TS
design compared to Childs and Albert Zero Gap both
serve to eliminate the end gap issue. Both ring packs
have worked well for me with no apparent advantage
over a quality set of ductile iron, file-to-fit plasma
moly rings (also depending upon application).

John Goodman