RE: Maxton May Meet

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Maxton May Meet
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:37:47 -0400
Hey, Joe, Thanks for not telling anyone whose bike it was that tipped over.
I'd hate to think that you were tattling on me.

But it wasn't really my fault -- we'll blame Todd Dross, who teched my bike,
and said that I needed to adjust the stops in the steering so there wouldn't
be any interference with the new bodywork when I turned the forks from side
to side.  After doing that it just doesn't turn very sharp...

So as I left the Sunoco fuel truck and tried to swing around back to the
pit -- oooops, it don't turn so sharp no more!  Yeah, well, get the crashing
out of the way at zero speed with the motor off and in the pits, that the
way I look at it.  Cheaper than having things go awry at warp speed, you
know...

We had a fine time, thank you very much.  The PA system didn't work when I
tried it -- something about the gallon of water trapped INSIDE the sealed
case for the amplifier made for corrosion, I guess.  It worked well by
Sunday midday, so watch out for next month.

The new slippery bodywork didn't give me much advantage -- top speed was a
193+, which I've done with factory fiberglass.  I'll figger it out for next
time, I betcha.  I even had Mr. Scott Guthrie ride the bike once, just to
see if I was doing something wrong -- he ran about 5 mph slower than I had
(admittedly on his first-ever ride on my bike, but that guy DOES have lots
of seat time - I couldn't get on a bike for my first-ever run on it and run
a 187, I suppose).  Or maybe he was just being courteous - I asked him to
pleeeeeease not take the record!

So back to the pits, strip off all the bodywork and run in M/G and M/F 1350.
181.7 gas, 185.5 fuel, and I now have a pair of records.  But damn, what a
breeze at 185 and no windshield!  I think I'll stick to the short course at
Bville this summer when I'm in the naked classes.

We'll be back at Maxton for the June meet, and this time Nancy's bike WILL
be there with us.

Thanks to one and all for helping us have yet another great time with the
ECTA folks.  Saddest part of the weekend was the goodbyes Sunday afternoon.

Jon and Nancy
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing