Re: block boring

To: <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: block boring
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 06:51:47 -0700
Larry, not picking on you, just used this to comment and ask more
questions...

I have been watching this thread. I am curious as to what the benefits would
be. And it looks to me that if the block is heated then the measuring
instruments also need to be heated to the same temp. For instance you are
boring out a 4.0 inch diameter cylinder and you heated it up. The diameter
before boring is now somthing quite larger than 4.0. So if you took 30
thousandths off the heated block when it cooooled it would be less than
4.030. So the instruments to measure the amount of cut also have o be heated
to account for this. Or sue the temperature expansion formula ans trust that
you have the correct expansion coefficient. But still, what is the benefit
of doing this? Stress relief? Torque plates I can understand. Is it that the
block changes shape when it is warmed up to operating temp.? Does this
thought hold true fo align boring? This is a technologically interesting
though going on here....

mayf, the strange red necked ignorant desert rat in PAH rump