Re: block boring

To: LGMCAFEE@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: block boring
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
Larry, that is an interesting idea, but it seems to me there is bound to
be a degree of distortion, expansion, and bending of so many components
of a fully-heated race engine at full power, that pre-heating before
boring and honing would make the job for the shop considerably more
difficult, but not give much if any benefit.  Probably most people just
give the clearances proven by time, and let it roll.

Even torque plates.  I well know that they are popular with many, and
perhaps they do give benefit on some engines that are more weak and
flexible in their structures. But one of my most respected authorities
on Flatheads and Arduns told me he tried it, and he couldn't see where
it made any difference.  So he didn't bother with it any more.  He was
talking about Flathead blocks here, not all the others.  Bill