Re: Race car wiring

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Race car wiring
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:58:03 -0400
I will get back to this later, but the real problem with solder is 99% of the
people that do it use way too much. I have used some in selected connections in
the past and it worked ok for that case. What will happen if you are not
extremely careful is solder will wick down the wire and make it brittle. Add
some vibration and the wire breaks. A good set of crimpers is made for the
terminal an the gauge of wire and crimps to a specific amount of tension without
stressing the terminal or the wire. The other thing that needs to be done is too
cover the crimp with either heatshink with meltable glue in it or install it in
a connector that provides strain relief.
The major cost of wiring is to own some good crimpers made for the connectors
you are using. I own about $5000 worth of Crimpers, strippers, insertion tools,
extraction tools and related equipment. Hell the soldering station is about a
grand by itself and is not the best by a long shot. I do not think you need that
kind of an investment to do the job correctly but you need more than the ones
you buy at Napa or Radio Shack. What i will have to look up is some pictures to
begin with that show a good crimp and a bad one.