Re: Car Balance

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Balance
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
"Are you game to do all the real math that is involved
with curved panels, body interruptions like seams,
wind screen moldings, under car aerodynamics?'

Nope, not me mayf but the site does give a simplified
(oversimplified?) method for finding center of
pressure that requires no math at all. I thought the
model method to be a great starting point. It does
require that you be reasonably accurate making the
model. Infinitely easier than doing the math, though.
Maybe it is just too much of a compromise but for most
of us, a model is better than the alternative. I
remember the days before computers when all we had
available was paper cutouts to illustrate and evaluate
a particular suspension design. It too wasn't perfect
but allowed an engineer without resources a method
with which to evaluate design and make changes.

Lots to be learned from those rocket boys.

A more technical discussion of center of pressure is
found in the rocket makers bible, TIR 33 by James
Barrowman.

John