Re: Weight and Balance stuff again

To: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Weight and Balance stuff again
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:19:47 -0400
Dave

Guess my fixation with weight is based on my experience driving a few
different cars on the salt over the past thirteen years. Lighter cars are
definably faster, but at the five mile not by much. Moving some offending
parts to distribute weight better is the right answer unless you don't have
enough weight to move.

An ill handling car that makes the driver uncomfortable ain't gonna go fast
no matter how light it is. I also know that if I'm spinning I ain't settin
no records. My personal opinion is that the whole light weight premise works
much better on the short course and at Maxton.

Don't know what the Honda will weigh when finished, but it aint built outa
.083 tubing, so guessing about 2600 lbs. My thought is to have ballast
(maybe 400 lbs.) and rear wing a ready. Get the car to handle first. Then
start decreasing the wing angle and deleting the weight until I hit the
point where it don't handle any more. Then back up a little.

JB