Re: Goodyear and Firestone Racing Tires

To: foxriverkid@earthlink.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Goodyear and Firestone Racing Tires
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:05:27 +1000
>The rule book is fairly specific about about tire speed ratings. How do
>the sactioning bodies (ECTA, SCTA, etc.) look at tires marked "for
>racing only" and have no speed ratings on them? I'm looking at some
>Goodyear Eagles.
>
>Bob D.
hey Bob  I believe that the goodyear eagles( front runners )  are not speed
rated  though most think they are rated to 300 mph  in fact I think you will
find that only the goodyear eagles branded as "land speed " are rated to
300 mph , with the motorcycle rules a racing slick is rated to 200 mph and
if shaved to 250 mph   though I was told that John Noonan ran stock ZR rated
tyres to 248 mph without problems  rules only allow 200 mph  so Im satisfied
with the data and tests to date that there is a great deal of safety factor
built into tyres .
I have tried to gain speed rating information from tyre manufacturers for
racing tyres and meet with stoney silence none were willing to give the
slighest indication as to a racing tyres top speed rating for what ever
reason  which is a shame really
anyway Im going to risk taking a shaved slick to 250/260
Gary