Salt Report

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, kris Wright <kw@cimsoft.com>, jimo@imcoins.com
Subject: Salt Report
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:46:59 -0600
HI
I spent the day at Bonneville yesterday.  I went with a few others from the
USFRA to assist the SCTA folks up form So Cal, in laying out and preparing
this years race course.  I thought you might like a fresh report on Salt
conditions.
The track is in the same location as last years course.
There is no standing water anywhere.
Even the usual puddle at the end of the road is dry.  However, The salt is
quite damp.  It sticks to tires, wheel wells and shoes in substantial
quantity.  It seemed dryer from the end of the road out to about the 2 mile
or 2 and a half on the course, then got progressively wetter out to the 7
mile and beyond (still NO standing water anywhere, not even in the
divots).  Also it was smooth from the end of the road out to about the 3
mile then began to show quite a lot of pressure ridges 3 - 4 inches tall
with increasing frequency out thru the 7 mile.
The damp salt is a good thing for dragging the course, (which also began
yesterday) as it smooths nicely.  It is probably at perfect moisture
content for the course prep dragging.  It was suggested by some Bonneville
veterans (I'm just a student) that the pressure ridges at the far end of
the course would be benefited from a little rain, of course the massaging
by the drags will help too.  There is a month left before Speedweek, and if
the weather stays like it was yesterday, (95 degrees, <10% humidity, not a
cloud in the sky)  there should be an excellent track for racing.
That's my 2 cents worth, perhaps some of the others who worked yesterday
(and also continuing today, I'm sure) will add a bit to this.

Dan Wright
A little sunburnt around the edges.

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.