Information about record cars

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Information about record cars
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:30:44 -0400
List

For a land noted for its Freedom of Information rights the racers
responding so far seem much closer to those on this side of the pond.  Keep
everything that is out of sight secret and tell no one how you might reach
the speeds in class  LOL!

Of course we do not have so many classes, so it is far easier to know what
has to be done to go fast under the UK/FIA/FIM rules.

If someone like German Fred Kaasman has time to compile the data (his
database  is for the outright record cars and includes dimensions) then I
would read the finished product - even here in the UK.  But what a task to
undertake on Bonneville alone .......

Rich asked what would be done with more detailed information?  It would
perhaps allow those who are planning a car to know some of the investment
criteria before starting the car assembly process.  If you cannot afford a
Cosworth motor you may need to re-assess the class that you run in.  Or if
the body style you have or love (it could be a Healey or Sunbeam or
Berkeley or .......) pushes too much frontal area compared with the record
holder you may have to choose another style.

Having added my two pence I have to admit that when published the UK
records list had only the record distance, the venue and date, the drivers
name, the car type and the time and speeds (in both mph and kph).  No
pictures no other details, and its no longer in print!

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England

ps Speed Fact: The UK record in Class C (3000 to 5000 cc) for 500 miles
from a standing start, has been held since 1913 by a Sunbeam at 94.73 mph -
5 hours 16 minutes on the Brooklands track.