getting ready

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: getting ready
From: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:35:06 -0600
   I always enjoy reading about the last minute thrashes that go on to get
ready for Bonneville. It reminds me I'm not the only one who goes through
the ordeal. But what is the mecca of speed for most of you , that is what
Maxton is for me. So I'm in the process of getting my new engine ready to
drop in my Duster- it will be going in either today or tomorrow- and for me
it gets me pumped up ,not for August and Bonneville, but for the last
weekend in September when I'll get to take off for North Carolina. What most
of you must feel as you get the first glimpse of the salt for this year,
I'll feel as I pull through the gate , through the trees and out into the
opening to the airport at Maxton. Now I can hear you all the way up here.
You're saying I'm outta my mind if I think there is a comparison. And no
I've never been to Bonneville- that is still two years away-unfortunately,
but the thrill of going to the States and running what I brung and hoping
its enough to get a record still turns me into a sixteen year old. If you
look around the pits on the Saturday morning I'm the guy who can't get going
soon enough and I'm pacing and fidgiting like crazy, saying things like
"where the hell are those firefighters and safety guys anyways'- we shoulda
started an hour ago" All because this means so much to me.I appreciate the
time the safety people put in, as with all the volunteers. When I pull up to
the line and look way down the track at the finish line and the timing
tower, I can only imagine what it must be like to look out on the salt and
that black line, but to me the feeling must be the same, I'm gonna be out
there on that track all by myself, I hope I do it right. And to top it all,
the people I look forward to seeing gets more numerous every year.Back in
April, my engine went four days before I was to leave for Maxton, and I did
not have a spare, that engine was my spare.So I'm psyched and getting pumped
for an event still two months away as this new engine is a bigger and
hopefully more powerful engine than before. So for all of you going to
Bonneville, I am envious- I'll get there soon- but I think I'll get my speed
fix in September- all the best to everyone going to Bonneville.
               Scott