FW: Fuel Tank rust Question

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Fuel Tank rust Question
From: "Dana" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:51:42 -0700
There are several ways to deal with rust in a bike tank.

The first choice is whether to get rid of the rust or cover it.

1. Acids:
Commercial acids all work well in a variety of products including leaving
Coke (Phosphoric Acid) overnight. All the list suggestions are fine. If
you're using a concentrated or "industrial" strength acid (Hydrochloric,
Phosphoric, etc.), be careful not to leave it in too long or it will eat
away the tank metal. Also, pool acid (Muriatic), battery acid (Sulphuric),
Vinegar (Acetic), all work well to varying degrees based on concentration.

As suggested rinse well, and use the baking soda solution AFTER the rinses
to neutralize residual acid. (Baking soda solution won't do anything to do
rust itself).

Rinse any water immediately with MEK or Acetone remove residual moisture.
Although not harmful, don't rinse with rubbing alcohol, it's "hygroscopic",
(attracts water). Same with Ethanol.

2. Heavy rust with flaking:
I like to take a couple of small boxes of 1/2" to 3/4" carpet tacks and MEK
or Acetone. Shack the living daylights out of the tank for 20-30 minutes,
and lose calories at the same time. Drain and repeat as needed (prepare for
sore arms the next day).

3. Cover the rust/bare metal:
The "Kreem" product suggested works very well to cover mild rusting, or
after steps #1 or #2. I did 2-3 on my race tank, and didn't use any acids.
It came out very nice.

Be careful about leaving the freshly cleaned tank exposed to air. It will
start to rust within hours, depending on your climate. If you have Nitrogen
or Argon, purge the gas tank of air and seal the cap, crossover/vent lines,
and petcock hole. This will prevent rusting depending on the air-tightness
of your seal.

Enjoy

Dana