Re: Tom's reply to Racing costs.

To: landspeed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tom's reply to Racing costs.
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:00:15 -0400
    Keith

    I was going to bring up the Earl Wooden Crosley, but you beat me to it.
Here is a situation where traction control (used to eliminate wheel spin)
probably would have saved the car and prevented Earl's trip to the hospital
(which could have been his last).

    I understand those who say "shut up and drive" and also those who prefer
to evolve slowly. Neither is an unreasonable attitude, but I would sure like
a chance to prove the safety aspects of TC, especially since we have
concluded that it won't improve the top speed, but is a big safety factor.

    One of my concerns is that I now have a car that with the right engine,
which is in the works, will have the same potential for speed and wheel spin
as Earl's. Tires are a big issue for me. I want to be able to come back and
race another day, and to be around to see some grand kids if I ever get
any....

    JB