Re: Bonneville Request

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bonneville Request
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:53:39 -0700
Neil, discouraged? no. Perturbed a tad though. And this is for all ya'll
listening out there. What I am gonna do is really very basic and something I
would have thought each and every one of you would be capable of doing. I am
continually amazed that the mentality is to find a car, stick a motor in it,
put some tars onit and let's see what she'll do! I know most of you are more
sophisticated than that, but for a sport where there is no money involved,
only bragging rights, I am funked out over that lack of curiosity and in how
to maybe go faster by thinking outside the box. I am befuddled. I bet that
with a little effort we could as a group characterize the salt surface being
raced on to everyones benefit whether it is safety or faster speeds. same
thing with tires: I suspect we could as a group get together and build a rig
that would allow tire testing under load, with differing tire pressures etc.
Mecca to the LSR world is Bonneville, so anything that could be done should
be done to understand that surface and after that tire salt interface
conditions. The various racing venues could all participate to the extent
they can or want to. This was my attempt to add just a little bit of
knowledge to the rpository.

But, I can hear it now...a million nay sayers who will say that nothing can
be done because everything changes so what's the use. And we've never done
that before. It adds cost. Oh, well... next time, I just do it and not ask
for help with data. And then publish on my web site for those who may be
interested.

off soap box now...

mayf