RE: Bonneville Request

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bonneville Request
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:32:01 -0500
Mayf;

"The Design Of Experiments" class again? Arrrggghhhhh...

OK, once you know how much the salt surface deforms with a known load, you
can find its compressive modulus (how soft or how hard it is) but if you can
also determine its modulus of elasticity ( how much rebound it has), you can
then use those two pieces of information to calculate how much energy loss a
rolling wheel or tire will have. This would be a measure of parasitic
horsepower loss-- in other words, the component of rolling resistance that
is due to the salt itself, not the tires-- that's an additional loss.

I have a feeling that I've raised an issue that isn't of much interest or
importance but this may be one reason that running on salt is faster than on
dry lakes. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ