Re: hardness/Cof salt test

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hardness/Cof salt test
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
"As Nike says, just do it. Then you can publish the
info on your or another web site. Jon's"

I must admit, when I set my records, I used methods
very similar to those employed in road racing. Nothing
tricky but did pay close attention to what the car
wanted, not what I thought it should have. Rolling
resistance and a loose calculation for tire to surface
Cf played a big part. Today, Dave Dahlgren has tools
available to mere mortals that can get you very close
to what real world surface Cf is on the day(s) you
race. Be my guest and study the salt surface until you
are fully certain of your findings. It will very
likely not get you closer to what is needed on any
given day. My goodness, Maf, you have been out there.
You must know by now how dramatically the salt surface
changes. As it changes, so does your Cf.

Your sarcasm does not go unnoticed. DOE are good
tools, even if you do not endorse them. I use them
professionally and they work. I know of some CART
teams who employ such tools to identify and solve
problems in multiple interactive factor environments.
It works for them too. However, as long as I can run
speeds over record numbers, I do not have need of
them. If I have a problem I can not solve through more
simplified means, I will indeed use DOE to solve it.

As for the web site. One meatball who likes to see
himself in print is enough for me. I do publish some
of my research in SME publications (one on the use of
simplified DOE to identify and solve honing problems)
and other industry journals, albeit, industry
specific.

The proof of any research are the results it
generates. High time you get your equipment out on the
salt and see if any of what you profess actually
works.

John