Re: hardness/Cof salt test

To: "Bryan Savage" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: hardness/Cof salt test
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:33:53 -0700
Yes, the salt changes all the time. Is it predictable? Maybe, maybe not. I
have not worked on the little bit of data I took when there. BUt the general
observation was that the COF was high in the morning decreased towards noon
then went back up again then back down in the latter part of the day. There
are some theroies around which may account for a lot of variability on the
when of changes due to water infiltration, but not yet ready to stick my
neck out. I would say that yes, 10 mph wind would have some drying effect on
the salt, hence some cof changes.

We had all chatted some about slippage and the conclusion is that up to 20%
slip is best for maximum acceleration. However you reach a point where
engine torque cannot overclome the slip and the grip starts to move back
towards the static limit of adhesion (cof). You can also run up against aero
and mechanical drag elements which will allow the car to go no faster and
makes the tires spin (which means more weight or down force is needed).

I'll have some additional comments and thoughts a bit later. I am trying to
get my shop sorted out again. I bought a maple laminated top work bench, a
steel work table, and a small steel table which is going to be a welding
table. I am building a "pipe stowage rack, for miscelanneous metal bts and
pieces I have.

Will work on salt ideas next week..

mayf