Re: Bonneville 2003

To: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Bonneville 2003
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:53:07 -0400
I think it might have to do with the engine you select and the torque curve that
it has. An inline six is 'torquey' by design that is why you find them in
trucks. the nitro has more to offer at low revs than high.. A 90 degree v-8 with
peak torque at 7000 has to have a transmission to stay in the torque range of
the engine. Maybe you were shifting the trans you had at too high an rpm?? If
you send a dyno sheet and some basic dimensions of the car i would be glad to
run the numbers and see how many speeds are appropriate and what shift points
would provide the best results.. If your exit speed is over the 4-5 mile average
by more than a mile per hour or you have not reached peak rpm you still have
something to gain with a transmission. From what I have found with a small
engine car you need to get between 85 to 90% of the terminal speed by the 2 1/4
mile trap in order to get all the speed the car has to offer...
Dave Dahlgren