Pickup Trucks

To: "Jim Webb" <jwebb@mastnet.net>, LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pickup Trucks
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:11:37 -0400
Jim and List

And my Mum said never criticise your guests .............

The Bank's team (GMC S15 'truck)  in '89 ran FIA average speeds of 194.838
mph over the kilo (that funny distance that is just a bit over a 1/4 mile).
 The average speed for two runs over the mile was 194.774 mph.  Don
Stringfellow was at the wheel.  His fastest run was 197.897 that year.

A Sonoma driven by Don Stringfellow set FIA records again in 1990 - kilo at
204.076 and mile at 204.145 mph and broke the S-15 records.

The FIA definition of 'Production' is a vehicle off the showroom floor -
run in (as we british say) or broken in to loosen in up, under supervision
and then a record attempt is made.  No other changes except to tyres
allowed.  The SCTA, Jim, hold a different view of "Production".  Dan is
correct but Jim you have the pick of the fruit in your motor - certainly
'aint no lemon!

I still think your Big Red Truck is a fantastic piece of machinery
regardless of its Production definition and you and the Choc Full 'O Nuts
team deserve the record speeds made to date.  Speeds I am sure you will
raise in the future - I want to see a 2xx.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England