Salt Report

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Salt Report
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:53:12 -0600
Several officials from the USFRA went out to the saltflats Sunday morning
to check on how local rains had affected the condition of the race course.
this is the report of that visit. There is significant standing water from
the end of the road out toward the course for approximately two miles. The
water is as deep as 4-5 inches at the end of the road tapering out to
nearly nothing about 1 1/2 miles off the end of the road. There is some
skim standing water in spots on the first 1/2 mile or mile of the long
course, the short course has no standing water. Locals told us that the
water came from a significant rain storm Friday Sept 5.
As of 10:00 AM Sunday, it looks like we will have an excellent race track
for World of Speed Sept 91-22.
The current local weather forcast shows a 20% chance of rain showers, off
and on this week.  Because of the chance of rain, the final decision on
about World of Speed will be made Monday morning Sept 15, 2003.  I will
post that decision on www.saltflats.com, as soon as possible, in addition
to sending it to the landspeed list.

Personally, I am optimistic that we will have a good race
course.  Conditions at Bonneville are much dryer than they were at this
same point last year.

Photos taken Sunday can be seen here.
http://www.saltflats.com/Race%20Week%20Updates.html

Daniel Wright