RE: CI

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: CI
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@att.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:15:21 -0400
At 11:50 AM 10/7/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave;
>My dad brought a new Mercedes 180D back from Germany in 1957 (instead of a
>gull-wing 300SL, alas) and it used glow plugs for starting. If the engine
>was cold, a few seconds of glow plug operation were necessary to get it
>started.
>Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ
>
>To: Dan Warner
>Cc: land speed
>Subject: Re: CI
>
>It runs off 12 volts usually and it is a resistance heater that makes a hot
>spot in the chamber so a cold diesel will start. It is not timed to anything
>and does not fire either. Generally used on cold days or with lower
>compression diesels..

If I am not mistaken, that is what is in the Orange diesel generator set
on the trailer that you use on the salt at the tower, a Glow Plug.
 "press the switch for 5 minutes or until you see the wire on the panel
glow, then turn the key.
started it a few times at WOS this year..was rather cool in the morning.

                        John