Step Pan Question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Step Pan Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:46:20 -0700 (PDT)
I'm getting ready to build a nice flat, new firewall.  I'm building an Altered,
so I can run a step pan.  Sooo.. when I get to the bottom of this firewall,
which would not be to the bottom of the frame rails, as I understand it, I can
make a nice crease and bend the same sheet of metal back under the frame, and
continue it all the way to the point where the frame rails kick up - - at which
point I should bend it to at least a 45 degree angle to merge back into the
original floorboard where it sweeps up over the rear end.  I'm pretty sure my
transmission will be mounted high enough to keep everything inside the pan.
This now amounts to having the frame inside the body above fabricated floor
(step pan).  Am I right so far?

What about the sides of the pan.  Does the step pan have to end along the edge
of the frame rail on each side, or since the body is six or eight inches wider,
and three inches higher than the frame, can the step pan bend up and meet with
the bottom edge of the body.

Dick J in East Texas