Suspension options...

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension options...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 03:45:52 -0500
Ya know I've listened to a lot of people and tried to get opinions from
folks that really know what they are doing in thier venues...  It's
interesting to hear what different folks think.... and what the different
options are...

My opinion right this minute is that Suspension is interesting but not
nessesary on a good race course.... the fact is that this car ran 240 at El
Mirage with No supension... 249 at Bonneville with a D motor and no
suspension...

Maxton however isn't as smooth.... it requires movement in the rear end...
On the years that Bonneville isn't as smooth as it was in the last few
years.... I'm sure this is going to help out....

The top bars in this system are three inches apart at the top of the rear
end... and triangulate out to the frame going forward.... that is what
locates the rear end.... to further locate it he used a diagonal link....
I'm not wild about it... but it's not going left or right so it's fine...
when I put a quick change in one day I'll install a watts link like the
Camaro has.... Or maybe I'll go to independant rear suspension....  The car
will evolve over the years... Like the Camaro has....  this was right for
now...

The last part of this is the shock package and again the experts opinions
are all over the board.... I think there are gains to be had in getting the
right shock package... but the only way to know what is right for this
particular car is to start data logging something and make changes from that
point to determine what works best .... again I'm not there yet... and we
are talking about marginal gains in performance.... but I honestly believe
there are gains to be had from the shock set up...

Keith
-----