Re: Suspension options...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suspension options...
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:27:25 -0400
My first LSR car...1990...a '74 Mustang II...didn't have any rear
suspension...we didn't have the ECTA then either...we used the Mustangs
front suspension because it was there. Didn't take me too many passes down
the smooth hard "salt" to figure out that this aint the most comfortable
ride Id ever been in.

So by '92, I believe, we had a shortened version of the old Mustangs
original leaf springs installed...along with some stock type shock...and
still retained the option to bolt it up solid if we wanted to. No
sophistication here...actually quite crude...but what a major
difference...especially since I can remember several years where there was a
very distinct washboard effect at various times on the course. We did try
the solid option again once or twice...when the course was nearly
perfect...and still reverted back to suspension. Just felt like we were
getting more traction as the suspended rear end allowed the tires to
maintain contact with the salt better.

With my new car we are running, a sophisticated...for me...four link, with
PRO coilover shocks...front and rear. This is the best handling best riding
car I've ever built. Goes straight as a string...at least at 200 MPH...and
rides like its a Cadillac...and I don't have a seat cushion either.

Moral of the story: Yes you can run at Bonneville without suspension. Yes
the car will skip over the high spots at speed...leaving you to think its
running smooth. And yes Keith is going to learn to really appreciate his new
fully suspended car...and not just at Maxton.

JB