suspension/traction question

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: suspension/traction question
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:36:31 -0400
If you are dealing with cornering , when the tires bounce off the ground the
car moves sideways , that's easy - With foreword acceleration the  downward
pressure on the contact patch  always averages 1 g  (50% air time means 2 g
ground time) - I  know that traction is inversely proportional to unit
pressure  (2 g's on a 8" tire is like 1 g with a 4" tire) and that sliding
friction is less than static friction (an off the ground tire comes down
spinning) - I also know that with the high unsprung weight of a solid rear and
heavy wheels at high speeds suspension cant keep up and that for a fast car
the average speed is high - Is the benefit of suspension actual or a
perception -   John