RE: suspension/traction question

To: "'John Burk'" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: suspension/traction question
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:33:19 -0500
John;

The flaw in that argument is that tire traction is non-linear; bounce &
rebound do not average to 1 G.

Think of what happens to an early Mustang off the line at the drag strip.
Lots of tire smoke as the rear end chatters up and down. They were notorious
for wheel hop and it really hurt traction off the line. I've seen a VW beat
an early Mustang off the line; of course, a hundred feet off the line, the
VW got blown into the weeds.

On an imperfect surface a suspension will help traction but the
practicalities of a particular situation might rule out adding a rear
suspension. It might not be worth the trouble in some cases-- the
compressibility of the tires themselves then are the rudimentary
"suspension".

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ