RE: suspension/traction question

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: suspension/traction question
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:31:56 -0500
John:
yeah, I agree with Dave, and he gave a nice, simple illustration.

Let me add that I "did the math" on this a couple of years ago (would you
believe I can't remember where I put it?)  Anyway, I remember enough to say
that I was very dissapointed at how much time I COULD NOT (theoretically)
keep the tires on the Salt at 400mph, using realistic wheel loading (about
1000lb/ tire, if I remember), and the lightest unsprung weight I could
imagine.  (I think I was modeling a long-course "dip" I remember seeing in
2001, which was pretty severe by usual Bonneville standards.)  I think the
best suspension model I could imagine only would keep the tires on the salt
about 80%.  And I was assuming perfect damping, which is not easy to
achieve.

On the other hand-- the mathematical model for the "rigid" version would
have only been in contact about 50% of the time (or LESS--depending on
inflation pressure, downforce, etc.)-- so "suspended" definitely looked
BETTER, mathematically-- even if it was a long way from perfect!
Russ, #1226B