Bonneville 200mph club minimums...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville 200mph club minimums...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:54:49 -0500
You can look in the archives for the actual e-mails... but I hated the two
club minimum deal because I thought it was Unfair,  a group of elitists
protecting thier own records and pulling up the welcome matt as they got
in...

That was my theory.... BUT like all things I can be wrong and was corrected by
none less then Tom Bryant... ( which usually means I'll listen with an open
mind )

Bottom line is that the car classes are in a constant state of flux... new
classes added.... rarely, but sometimes classes deleted.... we can add fuel
... so on and so forth...  what happened was that all you had to do was run
200mph at Bonneville and you were in... and the location was negotiable if you
were the right person or set the right record... ( I just noticed that folks
setting records outside Bonneville are Honorary members.... PERFECT )

To preserve the integrity and stature of the 200 club they added the minimums
.... which ensured that folks didn't just change classes to stick thier
buddies in the club....  If you set a record at Bonneville today and it's over
200mph and over the established minimum for that class.... bingo your in and
you have accomplished something.... Perfect... but if they didn't do this you
could have run a D Fuel Modified sports car at 200mph and gotten in the
club... even thou I've run 246 on the gas record.....

I don't think the 240mph minimum for the new FMS is a wrong number... sure I
can run the number... but it's still high enought that someone is going to
have to bring a race car....( your daddy's Olds ain't going to cut it...
unless it's a URL car )

I think that is all the Bonneville 200mph club is trying to do... seems fair
once I understood it....

Keith ( and thank you Tom for my understanding )