Re: Bonneville 200mph club minimums...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonneville 200mph club minimums...
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:30:56 -0700
Keith,

The 200 mph Club minimums seem unfair to some that I have talked to, but
all you have to do is look at some of the minimums, or the lack of, to
justify the Club's minimums being in place. I have a friend from our
area that was terribly upset when his streamliner got the record
(211.687), but no red hat for him, because the minimum was near 240 MPH.
The record is now held by someone else at 246.914 MPH. It was a fair
minimum. He admitted that his plan was to get all his crew into the club
by setting a soft record and letting them take turns.

I have been accused of sandbagging, but those who really know me know
that I run flat out on every pass. I admit that I have qualified and
chosen not to run for record because I already owned it. But if you
choose to do that, someone like John Beckett will come along and wake
you up.

I think that the big problem is that the rule isn't well publicized,
many that are attempting to join the 200 Club weren't advise of the
rules prior to setting a record over 200 MPH. I suppose that if that
happen to me, I might be upset, too.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC