Aaaahhhh, the Rule Book

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aaaahhhh, the Rule Book
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:23:57 -0700
When I am at wits end, which is often, I pick up the current copy of the
rule book and just surf. I was looking at the motive power designations,
especially the fossil fuel types, page 14, which have Omega, AA...., K with
description of th vintage motors as well. I am happily reading along over in
the special construction categories and am looking at the engine allowed for
streamliners, page 42 and lakesters, page 43. The in bot instances for
allowed engines, an "S" preceding the AA size motors. What the dickens is an
"S" engine? Not building opne nor even contemplating it, just plain curious.
I bet there is a simple answer and Imissed it in the book, eh? My second
question has to do with the definition of a turbine motor as speciifed on
page 44 as being "external combustion". Now I have been somewhere in
aerospace for a whole lotta years and I do not believe I ever heard a jet
classified as external conbustion. A sterling engine yeah, but never a jet
engine. So what gives with that and most importantly, why would that even
matter to anyone? If what was meant was a turboshaft engine/power plant then
that might be more appropriate. Again, not building nor contemplating
building such a beast, but I am curious as to the origins os such things.
Any comments?

mayf