Re: Limitations

To: kturk@ala.net (Keith Turk), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Limitations
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:49:00 -0500 (EST)
Keith, what you seem to be alluding to here is race car bodies that
develop increasing lift with increasing speed.  That would obviously be
very dangerous.

I have heard that people with cars with suspensions measure suspension
deflection and log the data to record lift or downforce.  Under fierce
acceleration at Maxton I don't see how this could work, but it would
better at Bonneville.  I think I recall Chuck Salmen does that with his
$um Fun roadster and he selected the '34 Ford roadster body because it
has a natural downforce about it when dropped a little at the nose.
That car has been conspicuous for its safe handling.

The only scientific way to approach testing body lift or downforce,
seems to me, would be model-testing in something like the Caltech wind
tunnel, like Sam Wheeler had for his mc 'liner.  But I hear that might
cost $10K a day if you have to pay for it.

And yet a lot of people have been successful in designing their
high-speed lakester and 'liner bodies intuitively with no access to
wind-tunnel testing.  More power to them, it's a game with high stakes.
Bill