RE: Limitations

To: "'Glen Barrett'" <speedtimer@charter.net>, ardunbill@webtv.net,
Subject: RE: Limitations
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:32:41 -0600
Glen;

Your comments about the indications of what happened in Seth's accident made
me wonder about whether it would be helpful to the LSR community to publish
an "Accident Report" on serious accidents at SCTA/BNI events.

Two precedents that I'm familiar with are the "Accidents in North American
Mountaineering" by the American Alpine Club and "Caving Accidents" by the
National Speleological Society. They are not formal, official investigations
like those by the NTSB; they are simply reports written by others who are
familiar with what happened or who have talked to those who were involved.

The reports cover not only what actually happened but also offer an opinion
on what went wrong and how it could be prevented in the future.

It seems as if this feedback could be beneficial in making LSR safer for
everyone. As it is, little is learned from other's mistakes or accidents
except from what is heard via the "grapevine".

What does anyone else think of this idea?

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ