50cc Bikes - FIM

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 50cc Bikes - FIM
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:27:52 -0500
Arne & List

Having had Jack as our guest here in England he isn't "a nut".  After
building the Nebulous Theorem series of needle sized projectiles the 50cc
record on two wheels seems a great challenge.

What you have to do is look at the European record classes where 50cc is
the smallest capacity break.  The FIM will welcome challengers for the
speed in this class - even if SCTA/BNI and others do not start listing
classes until the cylinder capacity on two wheels is somewhat bigger.

A 50cc solo (open wheeler style sit on) has a record of 224 kph - say 139
mph - and no doubt one of the list historians will confirm that a solo has
gone faster perhaps and also the streamliner class record that is now
'frozen' and cannot be directly challenged (probably owned by Kriedler).

My first experience with single cylinder two stroke technology was an
Italian made 50cc Itom solo racer that my brother owned.  With megaphone
exhaust the whole town probably heard this motor run - not just our
neighbours.  It was soon disposed of to save the family from complaints.
Yes, it was run on the streets in the 60's!

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.