Re: fire extinguishers and race cars

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: Re: fire extinguishers and race cars
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:31:48 -0800
Wow someone actually read my reply.  Wet water is  is a generic name for
"Cold Fire".  Jim Deist sells that product.  I really try not to push
anyones personal product.  The product does not foam. Dave Davidson had a
fire in his roadster 2 years ago and he fired a 10 lb bottle on himself to
help get the fire out, he had 2 nozzles in his cockpit.  Cold fire is
definatly allowed in an enclosed car and some recommend it because you can
breathe and not worry about inhaling a halon product. It too is safe but
some worry about it.  The older, I bought mine in 1978, 1301 "steel" bottle
"Flame Out" systems may become a hard product to test due to shipping the
bottle and testing the acuater The last person to do it is no longer going
to.
I am going to replace mine which is only on the engine. I am still weighing
the pros and cons of both types for that area.  I have an open roadster and
currently have a 14 lb 1211 system with one nozzle under the center steering
box for the driver.  If I am correct (and have witnessed it at El Mirage
with dust) if we had to discharge it the halon would surround the driver and
exit the vehicle arround the helmet.
The Cold Fire wet water type is suppose to coat you with a fire retardent
water.
At one time I had a 20 pound dry chemical on the engine with one nozzle on
the exhaust /pan side. If I would  have ever fired it there would been one
hell of a mess but I guarrentee there would have been no more fire. Took it
out when we ran out of room.