Re: air intake size

To: Ron Gibson <rgg14@cox.net>
Subject: Re: air intake size
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:42:31 -0500
If memory sevrves me correct he has mechanical injection with no boost
compensation. If this is true the primary use would be to keep the engine at a
known pressure at speed, probably 1 atmosphere as it is easiest to set up on the
dyno. If he does run EFI, which he really ought to, the only reason that comes
to my mind is a balance between manifold pressure and drag from the 'scoop'.

On Turk's car i sized the inlet at approximately 18 square inches. at 200 mph
and over it made about 5.50 % boost this is probably a little too big. We
probably need to rethink the whole air box issue as well.
As an aside to this tire slip was 15% in first and 8% in second all gone by 4'th
and max g loading was about 0.45 to 0.50 other than the chute opening a solid
1.80 quickly going down to 1 for quite a while..
Dave