Ford Axle Housings

To: John Beckett <saltracer@servusa.com>,
Subject: Ford Axle Housings
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:55:42 -0800 (PST)
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  After screwing around with GM
rear ends for the last five years, I got frustrated this morning, decided to
take EVERYBODY's advice, and switch over to a 9" Ford.  I went to my favorite
U-pull-it junk yard and asked for a 9" Ford.  "For what?"  he asked.  Well,
needless to say, I hadda do a lot of explaining.  The old guy smiled, walked me
out to the shed, and showed me a nice Lincoln Versailles unit complete with
2.47 gears and disc brakes. I shuddered at what the price was going to be. This
thing was so low mileage that it didn't even have dirt on it, much less rust.
It still had paper tags on it!  He smiled and asked if it was really going into
a Studebaker, to which I answered yes.  "And it's really gonna be a race car?,
again I answered yes.  "And you sure 'nuff race on them Bonneville salt flats?
again I answered yes.  "Gimme a hunnert bucks!" he said, and I about dropped on
the floor.  He smiled and I heard him mumble something
 about he had a '53 Stude back whe, and they are really cool cars.  That's
cheaper than the parts that I needed to set up the GM, AND - it's three inches
narrower - - - -hello, my wheels will now fit INSIDE the fenders without
resorting to black magic and voodoo.   Yahooo, I'm back to work on the Studie
now!
Dick J in East Texas

ps:  I'm hoping I have the torque to pull 2.43s.  But then, blown hemis on fuel
have a pretty good reputation in the torque department.

John Beckett <saltracer@servusa.com> wrote:
2.47 is the best your gonna get (big T-birds and Lincolns etc.) if you got
the torque to pull that kind a gear. So your gonna have to spend some more
time digging in the bone yard. If 6000 RPM is all you got then a 3.0 gear is
only 166 MPH. If your looking to avoid narrowing the housing look for a 67
to 70 Mustang with a big V-8. All the others had 8"ers. Oh yeah try a
Lincoln Versailles too.

JB