Re: Ford Axle Housings

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Ford Axle Housings
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:24:17 -0500
There ya go, and great brakes to boot.

JB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dick J
  To: John Beckett ; lsr list autox
  Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:55 PM
  Subject: Ford Axle Housings

  Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  After screwing around with
GM rear ends for the last five years, I got frustrated this morning, decided
to take EVERYBODY's advice, and switch over to a 9" Ford.  I went to my
favorite U-pull-it junk yard and asked for a 9" Ford.  "For what?"  he asked.
Well, needless to say, I hadda do a lot of explaining.  The old guy smiled,
walked me out to the shed, and showed me a nice Lincoln Versailles unit
complete with 2.47 gears and disc brakes. I shuddered at what the price was
going to be. This thing was so low mileage that it didn't even have dirt on
it, much less rust. It still had paper tags on it!  He smiled and asked if it
was really going into a Studebaker, to which I answered yes.  "And it's really
gonna be a race car?, again I answered yes.  "And you sure 'nuff race on them
Bonneville salt flats? again I answered yes.  "Gimme a hunnert bucks!" he
said, and I about dropped on the floor.  He smiled and I heard him mumble
something about he had a '53 Stude back whe, and they are really cool cars.
That's cheaper than the parts that I needed to set up the GM, AND - it's three
inches narrower - - - -hello, my wheels will now fit INSIDE the fenders
without resorting to black magic and voodoo.   Yahooo, I'm back to work on the
Studie now!
  Dick J in East Texas

  ps:  I'm hoping I have the torque to pull 2.43s.  But then, blown hemis on
fuel have a pretty good reputation in the torque department.

  John Beckett <saltracer@servusa.com> wrote:
    2.47 is the best your gonna get (big T-birds and Lincolns etc.) if you
got
    the torque to pull that kind a gear. So your gonna have to spend some
more
    time digging in the bone yard. If 6000 RPM is all you got then a 3.0 gear
is
    only 166 MPH. If your looking to avoid narrowing the housing look for a
67
    to 70 Mustang with a big V-8. All the others had 8"ers. Oh yeah try a
    Lincoln Versailles too.

    JB