Re: Modified Roadster

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>, John Beckett
Subject: Re: Modified Roadster
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:29:36 -0700
Doug, John, Ed, List,

The car was the focal point of a commercial that ADT Automotive did after
the runs.  They (ADT) were insulted that they were not given an red hat when
Unser passed the existing, but rather soft, record.  He then went out and
made runs faster than the 2Club minimums and earned the red hat that way.
Unser was a good sport about it.  Told me he understood that rules were
rules in racing.

One run, he came to the line all buckled in and when Monte reached in to
check the belt he fluffed him off claiming "his people" had already taken
good care of it.  Monte, in his usual comfortable way said he was going to
check it anyway.  He tugged and the belts popped wide open, but not as wide
as Unser's eyes.  He never questioned Monte again.  When Unser left the salt
he had nothing but good things to say about the starter and the whole
experience.

He held up a line of people at that SEMA show to tell me this story;
He was driving down the course at close to 200 when a white sedan wandered
near the course.  After his run, on the return road he was railing about how
loose the course safety people were.  He said, as he talked, one of the
latecomers in his entourage kept sliding lower and lower in the back seat.
Turned out that was the guy driving the white sedan.  He had blithely driven
out onto the course with the safety people chasing him to get him out of
harms way.  Unser had almost had an incident with one of his followers who
didn't believe in coned lines.

He had a wonderful time, had nothing but good things to say about the event
and bemoaned the fact that his schedule was preventing him from coming back
again. However, he promised that he would eventually be back because he had
so much fun.

Wes

on 11/30/03 3:27 PM, Doug Odom at dlodom@charter.net wrote:

> John, Remember the car. It was on display at the SEMA show later that year.
   Doug Odom in big ditch