air Density

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: air Density
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:36:39 -0700
Hi
I know air density has been discussed previously as it pertains to making
horsepower.  In most air density calculations I have seen, humidity is
factored in as a reduction in air density, as it displaces some air (and
therefore some oxygen).
I have been wondering how humidity affects air density in terms of
resistance or drag on the exterior of a vehicle.
I know that temperature changes air density and it's associated drag, but
given some constant temp, is it easier or more difficult to pass thru dry
air or high humidity air?
I am hoping that some of you folks who have aviation training and
experience can share with us how humidity affects the lifting ability of
aircraft??

Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.