RE: air Density

To: <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: air Density
From: <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 06:54:31 -0700
Good question.  Increasing humidity does decrease lift, and therefore SHOULD
decrease drag.  How much?  Difficult to quantify, but increasing humidity
moves the density altitude higher.

I believe the humidity (vapor, not liquid water) would decrease engine power
more than any improvement in drag, perhaps Dave D., or one of our other
experts would care to delve into that ...

Dale C.

                Subject:        air Density

                Hi
                I know air density has been discussed previously as it
pertains to making
                horsepower.  In most air density calculations I have seen,
humidity is
                factored in as a reduction in air density, as it displaces
some air (and
                therefore some oxygen).
                I have been wondering how humidity affects air density in
terms of
                resistance or drag on the exterior of a vehicle.
                I know that temperature changes air density and it's
associated drag, but
                given some constant temp, is it easier or more difficult to
pass thru dry
                air or high humidity air?
                I am hoping that some of you folks who have aviation
training and
                experience can share with us how humidity affects the
lifting ability of
                aircraft??

                Dan Wright

                It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be
done.

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer.